NEXUS is a Canada-United States combined program to speed up the border crossings to enter Canada or United States by air / land / sea travel for the pre-approved traveler and low-risk traveler. In NEXUS program, NEXUS customer can enter United States or Canada quickly without a hassle using self-kiosk located in the entry port where passengers entering Canada should use NEXUS Kiosk and passengers entering US via Canadian Preclearance airports should use Global entry Kiosk.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossings for members, while enhancing security.
Benefits of NEXUS:
- Fast processing in the airport
- Reduced waiting times
Eligibility to apply for U.S./Canada NEXUS program (NEXUS card)
To be eligible for Nexus program,
- Applicant should be Citizen or Permanent resident of US or Canada or Mexico and must be resided at least 3 years in US or Canada
- Mexican national who is already in the Mexico’s trusted traveller program, Viajero Confiable
- If the applicant is under the age of 18 years, they can participate with their Parent or Legal Guardian’s consent
- pass background security checks conducted by Canada and the U.S.
- meet all of the other NEXUS requirements
Reasons for Ineligibility to join NEXUS
The below listed points may be the reason for ineligibility to join the NEXUS program.
- provides false information (or)
- under any criminal offense (or)
- violations to customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country
How to apply and obtain Nexus Card to access U.S./Canada NEXUS program?
View the list of steps to apply for NEXUS membership
2. Sign in or create an account. While creating account, provide email to proceed.
3. Once submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Click to confirm with in 24 hours. Then create a password after confirming.
4. Once set up password, you will be asked for authentication set up. Set the security method to proceed to the next step.
5. Apply for NEXUS. Select the NEXUS program to apply.
6. Enter the personal details and confirm. Your account will be created after providing all the required details.
7. Select program as NEXUS when you want to apply for NEXUS
8. Fill the application
9. Upload the required documents such as proof of citizenship
10. Upload Driver’s license
11. Provide employment information as the list of working places. You need to list at least one employment status.
12. List the countries you have been travelled if any (Travel history)
13. Answer all the background question regarding criminal offense, any custom or immigration or law violations in any country to check for the eligibility.
14. Review your application and continue to process the application.
15. Pay the required fee.
16. Your application will be approved by both country (US and Canada)
17. Once the risk assessment by the United States and Canada is complete, you will receive an email on the dashboard of your TTP account
18. After the approval, you are required to attend the interview at NEXUS enrollment center.
19. You can activate the NEXUS membership id card if required.
20. Once approved, you must have your iris captured in order to use the NEXUS kiosks to enter Canada,. To have your iris captured, travel to the Canadian airports in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, or select land enrollment centers.
Click the link to view the contact details and location NEXUS enrollment center in USA and Canada to attend the interview or to call for any queries.
NEXUS Processing fee and method to pay
Adult: US $50
Child under 18: Free of charge (if eligible)
How to pay?
- If you are submitting NEXUS application via online, you can pay at the time of submitting the application through Trusted Traveler Program System using credit card (or) an electronic bank transfer.
- If you are submitting NEXUS application via mail, fee must be mailed along with the completed application form to a Canadian Processing Center. You can pay using credit card / Cheque / money order. Cheque and money orders must be payable to: Canada Border Services.
Validity of NEXUS membership card
NEXUS card is valid for 5 years.
For more details, visit https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/card#
*There is a non-refundable $25 (USD) fee to replace a NEXUS card that is damaged, lost or stolen.
Documents required to bring on Interview day
On the scheduled interview date, you need to bring the required documents which are proof of residency, citizenship,
Proof of Citizenship for Canadian or U.S. citizen
- a valid passport
- a birth certificate and photo ID
- a Canadian citizenship certificate or card for Canadian Citizen
- a U.S. citizenship certificate or a certificate of naturalization or a border crossing card for US citizen
Proof of Citizenship for Canadian or U.S. permanent resident
- a valid Permanent Resident Card or a Landing record for Canadian PR.
- a valid Permanent Resident Card for US Permanent resident.
Mexican nationals who are members of Viajero Confiable
- a valid passport;
- a valid work or study permit, if required.
Working or studying in Canada or the United States
- a work permit (or)
- a study permit.
Children under 18
- a consent letter from the parent
- custody agreement if applicable
- If the child is attending interview without their parents or legal guardians, a consent letter is required.
- Minors can be enrolled in the NEXUS program even if their parents or legal guardians are not members.
Proof of residency
- valid driver’s license;
- another provincial identification card;
- another federal identification card; or
- any document with a current address (e.g. a current bill, invoice or bank statement)
How to activate your NEXUS card (US-Canada NEXUS Program)?
- Log in to GOES account
- Click the button “Activate Membership Card” under the Program Membership(s) section on the Homepage
How to use Nexus Kiosk?
- Keep your Nexus card in hand to access the kiosk
- Select the preferred language
- Insert the NEXUS card (Face up-picture side) in the document reader
- You will be instructed in a voice message to look in to the mirror to capture the iris.
- Follow the instructions to proceed.
- Answer the required questions
Airports with NEXUS Kiosks
List of Airports in Canada having NEXUS Kiosks
Calgary International Airport (YYC)
Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (YOW)
Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ)
Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (YWG)